Subject: Qt 4.8.2 -- Holy Cow
From: Phil Weinstein <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:22:35 -0600

There's a lot to report.  It's pretty cool.  But not done yet.

I was able to get a Windows 7 (64-bit) Qt 4.8.2 RiverWare 6.3 build 
WITHOUT YET successfully rebuilding our Qwt 5.2.1.  (I'll try that part 
again tomorrow).  RiverWare links and runs (with the Qt 4.6.3 Qwt 
5.2.1).  This needed:

  * One minor source code change.
  * Re-applying our hack to a Qt file.  (Bill, it turned out that I
    really did need to rebuild the whole thing, i.e. an all-day affair. 
    I did this in the right place this time.  My 32-bit Qt build is
    still spinning on my XP machine).  This file (see notes):
    http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/qt_functions_prf.txt

During the interminable Qt 4.8.2 build, I was running a previously built 
RiverWare (for some other work), and that was picking up the new 4.8.2 
DLLs !!!  (Apparently just by having "C:\Riverware\tools\Qt-482\bin" on 
my path ???).  See the first of these two RiverWare System Info screenshots:

  * http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/RwWith463Run482.png
  * http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/RwWith482Run482.png

BTW, here is our new "4.8" "More Qt Info" dialog.  Notice that it 
explicitly identifies this as the COMMERCIAL version:

  * NEW:
    http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/RwWith463Run482-More.png
  * OLD:http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/RwWith463-More.png

My new 64-bit build runs.  But I am having my normal 
crashing-in-some-other-thread problem (I believe).  (Something 
fundamental is hosed on my machine).  So, I'll need to do testing on 
some other machine.

When I run regression tests, I am having a problem with the "diff" 
possibly due to the changes in my "path" -- SEE ATTACHED FILE.  *** But 
notice !!! where the executable is showing up!  Under an "x64" 
directory.  (It really is).  I didn't do anything to make that happen.  
I believe this is one of the changes that was going to be necessary for 
moving from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010.

Disappointing: I did operate the new Qt 4.8.2 "Designer" program -- and 
I really don't see native support for menu bars in QDialogs.

I still need to do these things:

 1. Windows 7 / 64-bit:  Repeat a clean build.  There may be problems. 
    I did need to make a few passes to get RiverWare built, and that may
    be an indication that our dependencies are not complete.
 2. Windows 7 / 64-bit:  Figure out how to build Qwt 5.2.1  (I ran into
    problems I don't yet understand with that).
 3. Windows XP / 32-bit:  See if my Qt 4.8.2 build is good
 4. Windows XP / 32-bit:  Try to build and test RiverWare.
 5. Windows XP / 32-bit:  Build Qwt 5.2.1.
 6. Figure out how to get this into our tools distribution.  (At least,
    I am building Qt in the right place, under C:\Riverware\tools\).

- Phil

P.S. my XP build of Qt 4.8.2 is still going.  7 hours so far.