Subject: Re: Qt 4.8.2 -- Status (Wed)
From: Phil Weinstein <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:50:45 -0600

I have Qt 4.8.2 built on Windows 7 (64-bit) -- the examples run -- and 
it's currently building on Windows XP (32-bit).  No errors have been 
reported.

    I'm pretty confident that my Windows 7 build IS 64-bit -- even
    though its Qt configuration uses a platform parameter of
    "win32-msvc2008".  The Windows 7 build is done using the "Visual
    Studio 2008 x64 Win64 Command Prompt", and the configuration doesn't
    use an available "cross platform" option.  One of the built Qt
    examples which works on Windows 7 results in this error message when
    I try to run it on my 32-bit Windows XP machine:

        / .../basicdrawing.exe is not a valid Win32 application./

I'm doing this work on both machines at C:\Qt\4.8.2\ to follow the 
direction examples exactly.  I needed to take 
"C:\RiverWare\tools\UnxUtils" OFF of my path, and add 
"C:\Qt\4.8.2\bin".  This page shows my Windows 7 path, before and after: 
http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/WindowsPath.txt

These are the options I'm building with (changed to one-per line for 
clarity here):

    configure.exe
       -debug-and-release
       -commercial
       -platform win32-msvc2008
       -shared
       -no-exceptions
       -qt-zlib
       -qt-libpng
       -qt-libmng
       -qt-libjpeg
       -no-libtiff
       -webkit

The following two pages show the initial output of my invocation of Qt's 
"configure.exe" (as above) on the two platforms, reporting all of the 
options used (including defaulted option settings):

 1. http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/buildLogStart-W7x64-2012-08-22a.txt

 2. http://cadswes2.colorado.edu/~philw/2012/Qt48/buildLogStart-XPx32-2012-08-22a.txt

Actually, drats, I'm seeing that although I did make changes to my 
'PATH', the old C:\RiverWare\tools\Qt\include and \lib were still in my 
"INCLUDE" and "LIB" symbols.  (The instructions didn't alert me to 
anything about that).  I hope nothing is being picked up from there.  I 
think it's OK, but I'll take those out for the next step ...

Tomorrow I'm going to try to rebuild Qwt 5.2.1 with the newly built Qt 
4.8.2 libraries.

Phil

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Qt 4.8.2 -- First look / FYI
Date: 	Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:02:57 -0600
From: 	Phil Weinstein <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

There's no question that this version of Qt (4.8) can be used with 
Visual Studio 2008.  So, I will be proceeding.  (I'll also see if Qwt 
5.2.1 can be built with Qt 4.8, though I doubt that will be a problem).

Logged onto my digia commercial portal webpage ( 
http://qt.digia.com/customerportal ), there are the following "4.8.2" 
downloads.  I'm not bothering with the pre-compiled binaries at the end 
of the list.  I've downloaded and started looking at *item #7* on this 
list ...

 1. Licensefile     Right-click and save file to use it upon installing Qt
 2. md5sums-4.8.2     MD5 sums
 3. MinGW-gcc440.zip     Minimalist GNU for Windows
 4. qt-commercial-3d-src-1.0.0.tar.gz     Qt 3D source package with UNIX
    style line endings
 5. qt-commercial-3d-src-1.0.0.zip     Qt 3D source package with Windows
    style line endings
 6. qt-everywhere-commercial-src-4.8.2.tar.gz     Qt Source Package,
    Full Framework with UNIX style line endings
 7. qt-everywhere-commercial-src-4.8.2.zip     Qt Source Package, Full
    Framework with Windows style line endings
 8. qt-mac-carbon-commercial-4.8.2-debug-libs.dmg     Qt for Mac OS X
    Carbon, Debug library
 9. qt-mac-carbon-commercial-4.8.2.dmg     Qt for Mac OS X Carbon
10. qt-mac-commercial-4.8.2-debug-libs.dmg     Qt for Mac OS X, Debug
    library
11. qt-mac-commercial-4.8.2.dmg     Qt for Mac OS X
12. qt-vs-addin-1.1.10.exe     Qt Visual Studio Addin
13. qt-vs-addin-1.1.11.exe     Qt Visual Studio Addin
14. qt-vs-addin-1.1.9.exe     Qt Visual Studio Addin
15. qt-win-commercial-4.8.2-mingw.exe     Qt for MinGW
16. qt-win-commercial-4.8.2-vs2005.exe     Qt for Windows, Visual Studio
    2005 Binary
17. qt-win-commercial-4.8.2-vs2008.exe     Qt for Windows, Visual Studio
    2008 Binary
18. qt-win-commercial-4.8.2-vs2010-64bit.exe     Qt for Visual Studio
    2010 - 64bit
19. qt-win-commercial-4.8.2-vs2010.exe     Qt for Visual Studio 2010

Here are the build instructions I will be referring to AND the list of 
"configure" options I'll need to take a look at:

  * http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/install-win.html
  * http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/configure-options.html

According to file /projects/riverware/Qt/Qt46-Config.bat ... these are 
the options we have used to configure Qt 4.6.3 (our current version):

  *    -debug-and-release
  *    -platform win32-msvc2008
  *    -shared
  *    -no-exceptions
  *    -qt-zlib
  *    -no-gif
  *    -qt-libpng
  *    -qt-libmng
  *    -qt-libjpeg
  *    -no-libtiff

- Phil